Backup and Storage Solution – Veeda Clinical Researchs
Veeda Clinical Research Limited (“Veeda”) together with its subsidiary, Bioneeds India Private Limited (“Bioneeds”), and its joint venture, Ingenuity Biosciences Private Limited (“Ingenuity”), (together referred to as the “Veeda Group”) offers a comprehensive portfolio of clinical, preclinical and bio/analytical services to support innovator, biosimilar and generic drug development programs of our global clientele.
Use Case: ARCHIVE
The customer had been managing their data on their on-premises servers, which proved to be a daunting and costly task. They experienced a significant data loss incident, which made data recovery a formidable challenge.
The customer was likely looking for a solution that could offer a secure and reliable way to store and manage their data. They were looking to reduce the costs and complexities associated with managing on-premises servers, and the solution should also provide better protection against data loss or corruption. Additionally, the customer also wanted easy and intuitive interfaces for managing data, as well as robust backup and recovery capabilities to ensure that their data is always available when needed.
At last, the customer’s main goal was to find a solution that could simplify data management and reduce the risk of future data loss incidents.
- Data Archival requirement for 7 Years minimum
- 300+TB of data in phase wise manner. They wanted to start with 80TB in first phase.
- they wanted Lift and Shift the scattered data from On prem to cloud.
- The latest data should be there accessible and old data which are not regularly required to be accessed should be moved to cold storage.
- Easy modern user interface to manage their data.
Operisoft has provided a solution to address the customer’s challenge by recommending the use of AWS S3 Storage, particularly Glacier Deep Archive, which is a secure and cost-effective file storage option for a long-term storage need.
Amazon S3 Storage service is a highly versatile and reliable solution for managing data in the cloud, and it can be an ideal choice for organizations looking for a scalable, cost-effective, and secure data management solution.
S3 Glacier Deep Glacier is a cloud-based backup and disaster recovery solution designed for Managed Service Providers (MSPs), IT professionals, and organizations that wants to retain data for the long term. It provides a comprehensive suite of backup, disaster recovery, and data management tools that enable MSPs and IT professionals to offer reliable and secure backup services to their clients.
To facilitate the transfer of data from their local servers, we also recommended the use of a third-party backup solution known as Cloudberry MSP360.
Used Services: S3 Standard, Glacier Deep Archive, and Clouberry MSP 360
- Selection of Storage Class: Storage Class S3 Standard and Glacier Deep Archive was selected here. Deep Archive for long term archival [7 years] to retain the data, and the S3 standard for immediate access and achieving resiliency against multi-AZ failure.
- Cloudberry MSP 360: The operators wanted a simple application to manage their backup jobs without much technical know-how. Hence, Clouberry MSP software was chosen.
- Migration Job: In the first Lift and Shift job, we suggested using Snowball Family, which was not chosen because of the customer’s preference, and standard migration using the internet via Cloudberry software was chosen.
- Data Size: In the first phase, 80 TB of data were estimated, and it can increase to 300TB within a year or so.
- Encryption: Encryption on the file side with an AES Key is used, which is available as a default in Cloudberry.
- Transition: Lifecycle policies are configured in Cloudberry in accordance with lifecycle best practices. The data is kept for 30 days in Standard, and then it is moved to Glacier Deep Archive for retaining them for seven (7) years as per the requirement.
The suggested solution aims to provide the customer with a more efficient and secure approach to managing their data by utilizing cloud-based storage solutions. The use of S3 and Glacier Deep Archive had potentially reduce maintenance costs and ensure long-term file storage security. Furthermore, the recommendation of Cloudberry or MSP360 as a third-party backup solution facilitate the seamless transfer of data from their local servers. Ultimately, the outcome of this solution has been improved data management and reduced maintenance costs for the customer.
In addition to the benefits mentioned, the use of cloud-based storage solutions has also provided the customer with increased flexibility and scalability to accommodate future data
growth. With the ability to easily and quickly access their files from anywhere with an internet connection, the customer has improved their productivity and collaboration capabilities.
The use of a reliable third-party backup solution such as Cloudberry – MSP360 is the best solution as per the customer with peace of mind knowing that their data is backed up and
easily recoverable in the event of a data loss incident.
- Migrating the data to AWS Glacier from on-premises physical storage mediums reduced their data management costs by more than 60%.
- The solution enabled Veeda Clinical Research in signficant reduction of man-hour. Their team was taking the data backup manually. Now the solution has drastically reduced any manual intervention.
- As per the compliance requirement, Veeda Clinical Research wanted to store the data as a long term archival. This is achieved in the lower cost
- Reduced Risk of On-prem failure: There was always a risk of data loss because of involved risk in the local data centre; which has now resolved using S3 storage services.